Sing to the LORD a new song, for He has done marvelous things...Psalm 98:1

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Finding my Voice: Can you hear me?

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Romans 15:5-6

I just started back to school.  I am currently the music teacher at my sons elementary school.  This position is a dream come true for me: it's what I love doing and it challenges me in the places where I need to grow.  What I noticed after teaching for only about an hour on my first day is that my voice was already tired.  I had put so much energy, enthusiasm and power into my voice that after talking and singing, it was strained.

Websters define the voice as this:  the sound or sounds uttered through the mouth of living creatures, especially of human beings in speaking, shouting,singing, etc.


I see it as more, though.  Our voice is also how we're remembered.  It's our witness, our example, the scent left after we've left a room.  When I think of my voice, I wonder:  is my voice strong enough?  Is my witness powerful even if my voice is tired or weary?  Do my words encourage and strengthen others or do they remind people of how tired I am, how weary I am?  Do others feel loved and encouraged after chatting with me?

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
   be pleasing in your sight,
   LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.  Psalm 19:14


Can you hear me?  Do my words and actions reflect my love for Christ?  Or am I mumbling?  Am I so "strained" that I neglect God's gentle nudging to connect with someone?

"Lord, help my voice to be strong and stable.  I understand that being connected to You is the only way I can have a meaningful voice in the world You've placed me in. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment